Arizona's monsoon season begins in June and continues through September. With it comes higher humidity, which can lead to thunderstorms, heavy rain, lightning, hail, high winds, flash flooding, dust storms and extreme heat. We've put together the following tips to help you ensure maximum safety this monsoon season.
HEAVY RAIN & FLOOD SAFETY TIPS:
· Turnaround, don’t drown! If you must drive and you encounter a flooded roadway, turn around and go another way.
· If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground.
· Tune into your local radio, NOAA radio or news channels for the latest updates.
· If your neighborhood is prone to flooding, be prepared to evacuate quickly.
· Follow evacuation orders and do not attempt to return until officials say it is safe.
· If power lines are down, do not step in puddles or standing water.
· If power is out, use a flashlight. Do not use any open flame as alternate lighting.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM:
· Put together an emergency kit.
· Know your community’s evacuation plan.
· Create a household disaster plan and practice it.
· Purchase a battery-powered or hand-crank radio
· Discuss thunderstorm safety with members of your household. Be aware that a thunderstorm could produce flooding.
· Pick a safe place in your home for household members to gather during a thunderstorm. This should be a place where there are no windows, skylights, or glass doors, which could be broken by strong winds or hail and cause damage or injury.
At BSN Security, we work with communities and HOA’s of all sizes to ensure that their residents are completely secure. Our team of security specialists will work with you to find the best way to protect you and your family this summer. To get more information about what BSN Security can do for you, contact us today!
Source: “Red Cross Safety Tips for Staying Safe during Monsoon Season.” Red Cross Safety Tips for Staying Safe during Monsoon Season | Arizona Emergency Information Network, American Red Cross, 2020, ein.az.gov/emergency-information/emergency-bulletin/red-cross-safety-tips-staying-safe-during-monsoon-season.